Museums such as The Young House Museum and historical sites including: Dyas Hexagonal Barn, Paradise Farm and the only remaining Gothic Revival Architecture in the Midwest.


  Jackson County, Iowa Museums and Historic Sites

Museums

The Young House Museum
410 No. Riverview
Bellevue, Iowa 52031

Open During Summer - Saturday, Sunday & Holidays 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.

The century-old residence, built of native limestone and containing 10 rooms, is completely furnished with turn-of the century antiques. Situated on a spacious corner lot, the home overlooks the Mississippi River and Lock and Dam 12.

The home features an outstanding collection of china including, Haviland, Belleck, Adderson, Spode and Limoge. A display of Parian ware includes vases, compotes and bisque figurines.

An ornate clock made in 1881, has a twin in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C.

Other items of interest are muzzle loading rifles, early American cradle and genuine Oriental rugs.

The kitchen is a reflection of life that has passed. The floor is ordinary pin wood and the grooved wainscoting a sure indication of the home's age. The built-in cupboards are filled with examples of stoneware and old graniteware.

One room is devoted largely to personal mementos of the Young family. Historical pictures and memorabilia of Bellevue are also on display.

   
Historic Sites

Sites on the National Register of Historic Places:
Jackson County has many sites and districts on the National Register of Historic Places.

For more information contact the Jackson County Historical Society at (563) 652-5020 or the Jackson County Welcome Center at (800) 342-1837.

SYMBOL KEY-
* Open by appointment, ** Not open to the public, *** Open to the public

Sorted by city or area in alphabetical order
  ~ Andrew ~ Baldwin ~ Bellevue ~ Canton ~ Garryowen ~ Hurtsville ~
  ~ LaMotte ~ Maquoketa ~ Otter Creek ~ Sabula ~ St. Donatus ~ Springbrook ~
   
Andrew
The former Jackson County Jail, was built in 1870. Restored rooms and cells and prisoner etchings are highlights. *
Nathaniel Butterworth House located north of Andrew on Hwy. 62.
Defries House , barn & carpenter shop, 232 Avenue, Y61. **
Insane Asylum at county poor farm, east side of county Y61.
Thomas Slye House, 184th Street. Y61 **
Baldwin
Henry Lubben House smokehouse & springhouse, west side of County Road Y34 north of Baldwin. **
Mill Rock School 1867 limestone one room school house 53rd Ave., south of Baldwin. *
Margaret Sieben House, three miles east of Y34 north of Baldwin. *
Bellevue
The Dyas Hexagonal Barn, located on the old Dyas farmstead, just south of Bellevue is one of three historical barns in Jackson County. **
The original Jackson County Courthouse, built in 1848, is now the Bellevue Elementary School. **
Paradise Farm, E. G. Potter's home. The site of Iowa's first lending library is located in Paradise Valley four miles west of Bellevue. **
Six-story E.G. Potter's Jasper Flour Mill (1843) Potter's Mill is the oldest standing frame mill in Iowa. **
Built in 1850, Spring Side represents the only remaining example of classic Gothic Revival Architecture in the Midwest. **
Recently added to the National Register are several Bellevue-vicinity structures representing 1840 to 1880 vernacular limestone architecture. These structures include the Bellevue Herald Building*** 130 S. Riverview; the Buildings at 130-132 N. Riverview, 101 N. Riverview, 128 S. Riverview, 306 S. Second St., 505 Court St.**, and the Kucheman Building, 100 N. Second St.; the Big Mill Homestead* and the Robb House and Spring House ** on Mill Creek Road; the George Dyas House ** and the William Dyas Barn** on County Road Z15; the Fritz Chapel *, the Theodore Nieman House and Spring House**, and the Henry Rolling House** on 308th St.
Big Mill Homestead
Located five miles west of Bellevue on County Road D57 is a limestone rock house that
was built in 1860. The preservation of this historic structure is a cooperative effort of the
Conservation Department, Iowa DNR, and the Jackson County Historical Society. This
facility is an example of the early limestone architecture so important to early
development in Jackson County. Size:10 acres
Canton
The 1877 limestone Canton School, exemplifies rural Americana. *
Canton Church, located on South Street, *
Central School, 40th Ave. North. *
Garryowen
St. Patrick's Church, County Road D61. *
Hurtsville
The Hurstville Lime Kilns highlight what was once the old "company town" of Hurstville. The kilns are just off U.S. 61. *
LaMotte
Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul Narrow Gauge Depot, Market Street. *
Harris Wagon & Carriage Shop, junction Main and Pine Street. *
Maquoketa
  Maquoketa's Main Street boasts several historic buildings bounded on the north by the W.B. Swigert House**, 309 N. Main, and the south by the Hotel Hurst**, 227 S. Main. These buildings include the Decker House Hotel***, 128 North Main; the Lyon Block, 112 - 116 N. Main; the IOOF Building ***, 103 N. Main; the Merrero Building***, 111- 115 S. Main; The First National Bank ***, 120 S. Main; the D.H. Anderson Building ***, 129 S. Main; the Cundill Block, 202 S. Main; the C.M. Sanborn Building, 203 S. Main; and the Hotel Hurst Garage** at 219 S. Main.
Other National Register structures in Maquoketa include: the DH Anderson House** 315 E. Locust; the George Cooper House, 413 W. Platt; the House at 111 E. Maple St.**; the A.A. Hurst House** 513 W. Platt; the Lydia Johnson House**, 209 E. Locust; the Maquoketa Free Public Library ***, 2nd and Pleasant; the Mitchell-Maskrey Mill ***, 120 E. Pleasant; the Alexander Organ House **, 607 W. Summit; the Perham House 213 E. Pleasant; the Henry Taubman House**, 303 E. Pleasant; the Bassnett-Nickerson House** 116 S. Vermont; the Milton Godard House**, 7th St., south of city; the John Lake House, 601 W. Platt; and the J.E. Squiers House*** which is now Squiers Manor, a Victorian Bed and Breakfast, 418 W. Pleasant.
Maquoketa's West Pleasant Street has recently been named a Historic District. The West Pleasant Street District is bounded on the west by Prospect Street and on the east by 2nd Street.
The Seneca Williams Mill was built in 1867. The mill, now Costello's Old Mill Gallery houses an art gallery and frame shop. It is located one mile east of Maquoketa, just off US 61. *
The Anson Wilson House is located one mile south of the US 61 and IA 64 intersection.**
Maquoketa Caves State Park, County Roads Y31/428. *
Otter Creek
St. Lawrence Church, County Road D61. **
Sabula
The Jeremiah Wood House at 802 River Street, overlooks the Mississippi River. Not presently open to the public. **
John S. Dominy House, 605 Pearl Street. **
Sabula Bridge, IA 64, US 52 over Mississippi River. *
St. Donatus
The entire Luxembourg Village of St. Donatus is listed on the National Register as a historic district. The Peter Gehlen House and Barn*** on U.S. 52.
Springbrook
The Kegler-Gonner Store and Post Office.***

 
             

Jackson County Historical Museum

Hurstville Interpretive Center

Hurstville Lime Kilns

Young Museum